Friday, May 24, 2013

Thinking Outside the Bottle

I've decided to get myself back on a path toward living a greener life.  For starters, I'm transitioning back to natural cleaners, and away from the commercial convenience of chemicals.  Oooh.  Alliteration!  But my biggest change is coming in the way of 'poo.  That's shampoo.  I'm using baking soda and water to wash my hair, and vinegar to condition it.  I first heard of this method from a girl I met in an Archaeological Field Methods class at UNF.  She has lovely hair, so of course I was curious. She directed me to this website and I found another good one here.  This is really the most outside of the box I've ever been and I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Here is my hair brushed and air-dried after my last 'poo before the experiment:

And here is my baking soda solution (on the left) and apple cider vinegar solution (on the right).  The baking soda also has one and a half droppers full of a willow bark essential oil called Goddess Diana that I bought from Earth Gifts and a sliver of a naturally made soap I bought from the Jacksonville Farmer's Market today.


So, this is it! I've told my friends to bear with me during the "transition" phase of my hair when it's supposed to get super oily before my scalp's oil production finds its new normal. Updates to come as the experiment progresses.

No comments: